4th Gen Tacoma mods

drb77

I've made a few add-on mods to the new blue-crush Tacoma SR5 4X4. First, the front air dam is history. And it's necessary to replace the screws and add some black fender washers to relieve any stress points.

IMG_0799clipped.JPG

Next, I added a Lomax folding hard Tonneau cover, in matte finish. (Also, notice the right rear corner, the bed step, in stowed position.)IMG_0792clipped.JPG

Then I added the OEM Toyota Bed Step. The 4th gen is a full 2" taller than my 2nd gen, making it almost impossible to step up on the tailgate/bed when the gate is down. No aftermarket is available for this one (yet), part number PT392-35920. Lists for almost $400, but can be found for just under $300. And no, the previous model years will not fit, and for '24, they switched from left rear to right rear.IMG_0805clipped.JPG

Next, I added a Rough Country slide out tray and 44" X 15" X 15" toolbox. (Toyota 4th gen bed mat also.)IMG_0802clipped.JPG

And then I added a sliding bed divider, to keep things from moving about. It uses the deck rail system. 'Choose the $140 generic divider, I just didn't think $330-$400 for OEM could be justified.IMG_0804clipped.JPG

This all so pretty, but I got a wonder how long that bed step contraption will stay intact once you do any serious off-roading, even after it folds up.
As far as things moving around, the bed mat does a good job preventing that. I haven't found the need for anything more than that.

Last edited:
This all so pretty, but I got a wonder how long that bed step contraption will stay intact once you do any serious off-roading, even after it folds up.
As far as things moving around, the bed mat does a good job preventing that. I haven't found the need for anything more than that.
For me, I would use my '07 FJ Cruiser for any serious off-roading. And my purpose for the '24 Tacoma is pleasure and backup work truck in case the old 2nd gen Access Cab TRD OR is out of commission for any reason. (The field operations in my business are 24/7 and I have to be ready to respond in case of any major troubles.) And the bed step doesn't protrude lower than the trailer hitch tubes (when stowed). Yes, the cargo divider is probably overkill, but it'll keep the tool box and Rough Country slider in place, just inside the tailgate. BTW, the 4th gen Tacoma does have an electric locking tailgate latch as standard. So any bed contents should be fairly secure w/ the hard tonneau cover.

Back