Fan belt change

I take it this is a serpentine belt?....if is, inspect it for any cracks, or making unusual noises. I've seen them fail at all mileages, but generally 90k miles its a good idea for a new one.

Last edited:
Thanks. I primarily use my Tacoma for long trips. 3500 mile average. Last thing I need is a failure in the middle of a trip.

No mileage recommendations to my knowledge.

Suggest inspecting the belt for any signs of cracking, glazing, edge fraying.......Look at both sides. Inspect the pulleys, the crests and valleys of the V should not be shiny. If in doubt, just replace it. They aren't horribly expensive. Also a lot less expensive than a tow from the boondocks.

I spied a note card at dealership says serp belt every 60k miles for hundreds of dollars in expense
60k seems a bit early unless extraordinary wear is spotted

I'm now at 342187 lol

Freshly fan acc. belts installed to replace ones that worked a bit over 140k miles

Last edited:
what does belt 'glazing' look like exactly?

perhaps i need to get a pic of that Gen2 belt and pipe it into the channel here
95700 onit
...have a new OEM belt on hand for replacement if it is not too much of a challenge

what does belt 'glazing' look like exactly?

perhaps i need to get a pic of that Gen2 belt and pipe it into the channel here
95700 onit
...have a new OEM belt on hand for replacement if it is not too much of a challenge
oh my.....

The belt will be shiny if it is glazed. The belt should NOT be shiny.

It might be shiny!?
It's not real black anymore
If you are still running original belts, then I strongly urge you to replace them. Belts are not infinite lifetime parts. No rubber part is infinite life.

Get a clue.

Belts are cheap insurance if those existing ones are suspect. Heck you'd be the last one to cheap out on that 6 figure taco.

Back