Major MPG Decrease??

I just recently installed new springs, advertised 2.5 inch lift, and went with 265/70 tires vs 65s. I went from getting nearly 400 miles per tank down to a little over 300 miles per tank, a significant decrease. What gives? Could it have really changed that much. I took it to a dealer after words for alignment, pre new tires, and then started noticing the decrease. Is this normal? Could the dealer have screwed with it some how? I keep obsessing about it, I truly didn't expect such a decrease in such little change. Its a 2013, computer calibration issues?

for me it was more function then anything. It always seemed a bit lower then others straight off the floor. I wish I would have measured before and after, its really almost unnoticeable, with the lift, when side-by-side with other Tacomas.

Yeah I know what you mean you can tell just a little bit but it's nothing that really stands out mine came with the leveling kit when I bought it and I've just stuck with it I'm about to get some new headlights, taillights, and fog lights here soon I think it'll look good

I just recently installed new springs, advertised 2.5 inch lift, and went with 265/70 tires vs 65s. I went from getting nearly 400 miles per tank down to a little over 300 miles per tank, a significant decrease. What gives? Could it have really changed that much. I took it to a dealer after words for alignment, pre new tires, and then started noticing the decrease. Is this normal? Could the dealer have screwed with it some how? I keep obsessing about it, I truly didn't expect such a decrease in such little change. Its a 2013, computer calibration issues?

400 miles per tank? What is it a 2.7 single cab? That's pretty damn good. Or your driving it on fumes? A 21 gallon tank at 20 mpg = 420 miles???

400 miles per tank? What is it a 2.7 single cab? That's pretty damn good. Or your driving it on fumes? A 21 gallon tank at 20 mpg = 420 miles???

I was thinking the same thing. If I get 300 miles to a tank I'm very happy. And that's on the hwy.

Sent from my iPhone using Taco Forum mobile app

I can barely get 200-220 out of my tank (2003)!!! Yall just be happy with 300 lol

If I keep my foot out of it I can do ok around town. But I like to play so I normally get 200-225.

You're so lucky!!! Supercharged and getting the same as me when I have a stock engine...lol

It's nice when I travel and hit the hills it doesn't down shift. But sometimes I get that idiot that wants to play games so I have to show them what I have under the hood.

It's nice when I travel and hit the hills it doesn't down shift. But sometimes I get that idiot that wants to play games so I have to show them what I have under the hood.

I bet it's a good feeling seeing their reaction

I bet it's a good feeling seeing their reaction

My last victim was a Dodge with a HEMI. Lol. Stock of course. He wanted in front of me and I couldn't allow that. All in fun though.

My last victim was a Dodge with a HEMI. Lol. Stock of course. He wanted in front of me and I couldn't allow that. All in fun though.

I was messing around with a raptor one day on the way home from college...haha

So no one really has any input on this other then I should just shut up????? Raising a vehicle cannot change aerodynamics that much, and adding height to a tire is not increasing tread contact, just a slight, very slight, weight change (granted it is rotational weight.) So, a truck two inches (maybe 3) higher off the ground looses almost 25% efficiency? I am having difficulty understanding that big of a change. Thats all. I dont care what other people get for gas mileage. I'm just wondering why the truck is working that much harder now. Is it just a greater void for turbulent air flow underneath?

So no one really has any input on this other then I should just shut up????? Raising a vehicle cannot change aerodynamics that much, and adding height to a tire is not increasing tread contact, just a slight, very slight, weight change (granted it is rotational weight.) So, a truck two inches (maybe 3) higher off the ground looses almost 25% efficiency? I am having difficulty understanding that big of a change. Thats all. I dont care what other people get for gas mileage. I'm just wondering why the truck is working that much harder now. Is it just a greater void for turbulent air flow underneath?

Do you have the 2.7 or 4.0?

Back