Recommended maintenance on 2018 Taco?

toddrf

My daughter bought a 2018 Tacoma TRD Off Road about 10 months ago. I don’t have a complete maintenance history for it. I’ve done the standard stuff like change the oil, oil filter, air filter. The truck has 101k miles. Not knowing its maintenance history, what other maintenance should I perform?

Spark plugs, and pcv valve. Change coolant, atf, and brake fluid. Replace both differential gear oils, and transfer case fluid. Check ps fluid level. Grease any front, and rear driveshaft zerks. You should have an owners manual that will tell you if I missed anything in the maintenance section.

Heck that should have been changed every 12k miles, or sooner from the get-go. I can't believe how quickly my 3rd gen's cabin filter got plugged up.

The manual will have the recommended items to address at specific intervals.

They have been for well over a decade. Imo, if you've kept up with the routine roughly 4 qt drain, and refills, using toyota atf, and checking the fluid level by Toyota's obdII's plug method, or I just prefer a infrared thermometer gun aimed at the tranny pan till it reaches 100 F degrees, or a little more, while opening the check level plug, till the atf nearly stops dripping....your then good to go. You can torque all the plugs up.

Last edited:
Has been for years. The power these 2.7 4 banger 3rd gen tacoma's make are like watching paint dry....especially an auto. Don't know what toyota was thinking. Imo, a simple 4.3 v6 like gm's would have been perfect, instead of these highly complicated 3.5's to get decent power, and fuel economy out of.

Last edited:
Spark plugs, and pcv valve. Change coolant, atf, and brake fluid. Replace both differential gear oils, and transfer case fluid. Check ps fluid level. Grease any front, and rear driveshaft zerks. You should have an owners manual that will tell you if I missed anything in the maintenance section.
Agree on all that with one exception. Change the PS fluid. It has likely turned dark maroon to black. Indicating its worn out. It should be red.

Actually the stock toyota ps fluid should look clear, it's the replacement atf everyone uses that appears red. I never changed the ps fluid in my tundra until it was time to replace the steering rack, and pump lines after nearly 200k miles. The old stock fluid was still clear, and didn't appear all that bad like brake fluid can get.

Actually the stock toyota ps fluid should look clear, it's the replacement atf everyone uses that appears red. I never changed the ps fluid in my tundra until it was time to replace the steering rack, and pump lines after nearly 200k miles. The old stock fluid was still clear, and didn't appear all that bad like brake fluid can get.
Yes. You are correct. It should be clear. Not red. I was thinking trans. My V-8 brain is only hitting on 2 maybe 3 cylinders......other things have my head in a tumble.

Back