2016 Tacoma

Has anybody had trouble with 3.5L v6 engine! Mine shutters uphill and looses power. Now I have exhaust soot and black smoke on rear bed panel from exhaust. This truck has 30,000 miles on it. Service work has been done at dealership only. They told me the engine shuttering and loss of power was normal. They said " it is what it is" kinda got what you paid for.

45k miles here and no problems. Have actually hardly seen any mechanical problems reported with the Tacoma V6?! Some guys complain about lack of power but no real mechanical issues. Let us know what you find out..

45k miles here and no problems. Have actually hardly seen any mechanical problems reported with the Tacoma V6?! Some guys complain about lack of power but no real mechanical issues. Let us know what you find out..
I will do that heading back to service dept. This week

Has anybody had trouble with 3.5L v6 engine! Mine shutters uphill and looses power. Now I have exhaust soot and black smoke on rear bed panel from exhaust. This truck has 30,000 miles on it. Service work has been done at dealership only. They told me the engine shuttering and loss of power was normal. They said " it is what it is" kinda got what you paid for.
I’m there is a recal for some of those Sx. It’s a crank position sensor they over lubed them and it’s causing issues.
Do you have a lift and larger tires?

You should try hitting the ECT power button when going uphill. Works for me.
I know what you mean about the power loss. I too have a ‘16 tacoma

Yeah.... if I’m pulling a big hill on the interstate I hit the ECT too. It’s a world of difference.

Yeah.... if I’m pulling a big hill on the interstate I hit the ECT too. It’s a world of difference.
I have tried that. My gas mileage is way down. Barely getting 20mpgs. When I bought this truck it was getting 23.4. And I buy name brand gas Exxon Shell etc. I have an appointment with Toyota Saturday to see why it's blowing soot and black smoke.

I have tried that. My gas mileage is way down. Barely getting 20mpgs. When I bought this truck it was getting 23.4. And I buy name brand gas Exxon Shell etc. I have an appointment with Toyota Saturday to see why it's blowing soot and black smoke.
Mine blows lots of white smoke all the time. Let’s us know what they say.

Mine does the same with the white smoke and condensation at the tail pipe. It acts like it’s running rich all the time. It also will idle from 3-500 up to 1000 until it’s warmed up and then it stays at 500-550.
All the Atkinson motors in the gen threes do the same thing from what I’ve seen though.

Mine does the same with the white smoke and condensation at the tail pipe. It acts like it’s running rich all the time. It also will idle from 3-500 up to 1000 until it’s warmed up and then it stays at 500-550.
All the Atkinson motors in the gen threes do the same thing from what I’ve seen though.
I have a 2nd gen and 3rd gen Tacoma. The 3.5 liter is gutless compared to the 4.0 liter. Biggest disappointment with the 3rd gen

I’ve got 40K. Run the coast in TX, pull a double axle trailer up and down the road. We load up and run I-10 from SA to Sonora at 85 and with the cruise. No hesitations or drop on up the steep hills. We had the 4.0 in our 11DC. Bout the same on performance. Not A 4x4. Gas mileage... perhaps overall +1.5 better than my 11 DC 4.0. Bout 18.5-19.0 overall.

Back