How often do you park beside another Tacoma….

Seems I'm seeing more gen1 tacomas lately. Just came from my haircut appointment. Parked next to a mint jade green single cab gen1 tacoma. It looked brand new....not a nick on it anywhere. I normally don't like green trucks, but this one I wouldn't mind owning.
Here in North Texas it's the opposite. I'm seeing more and more 3rd gen's than anything else. It seems I'm going out of my way looking for a 1st or 2nd gen to park beside for a photo shoot ! Lol

Here in North Texas it's the opposite. I'm seeing more and more 3rd gen's than anything else. It seems I'm going out of my way looking for a 1st or 2nd gen to park beside for a photo shoot ! Lol
Don't let me confuse you, there are zillions of 2nd gens and 3rd gens here also. I usually see an average of one gen1 tacoma a year. So far its only feburary and i've seen two of them.

Don't let me confuse you, there are zillions of 2nd gens and 3rd gens here also. I usually see an average of one gen1 tacoma a year. So far its only feburary and i've seen two of them.

have most of those Gen2's had the frame replacement yet or do you know?

Exactly. Since New Year's Day, I think I've spotted maybe four at the most. They are starting to become unicorns.

Jay that's a great question and maybe you can help me out on this one. My middle son just bought a 2005 Tacoma like 3-weeks ago. He drove up from Virginia Beach to Bloomington, NJ to buy a Tacoma that came from Boston. He knew there was some frame rust issues but he went ahead and bought it $11,500 I think. He took it on base to the self-help shop and put it up on hte lift and there's a ton of rust. He said there was a recall on it but it's already expired. A new frame is $2,800 and double that for labor. Is there any other alternitive he has ? Like could he pay a welder and just fill in the rust holes with tig and sandblast the rust off ? He paid cash and its his problem and I get that. Thoughts ?

I love that little guy ! Double Like !
That one has the steel wheels on it with wheel covers, I've noticed the late '90s models seem to be like that as opposed to my '02 which has the alloy wheels! Also noticed that one has the automatic on the column where mine has the automatic in the floor. When did the shifter get moved from the column to the floor?

Many have new frames. Years ago, a dealer here had 2 independent piles of frames...one stack was for gen1 tundras, and the other was for gen2 tacomas. Years before that, it was gen1 tacomas. I saw these piles of frames outside the side of their body shop. The frames were stacked like cord wood up to the height of the roof.

Many have new frames. Years ago, a dealer here had 2 independent piles of frames...one stack was for gen1 tundras, and the other was for gen2 tacomas. Years before that, it was gen1 tacomas. I saw these piles of frames outside the side of their body shop. The frames were stacked like cord wood up to the height of the roof.
Do you remember the location or name of this place tacojoel ? Maybe they still have some available that could help my son out….

Jay that's a great question and maybe you can help me out on this one. My middle son just bought a 2005 Tacoma like 3-weeks ago. He drove up from Virginia Beach to Bloomington, NJ to buy a Tacoma that came from Boston. He knew there was some frame rust issues but he went ahead and bought it $11,500 I think. He took it on base to the self-help shop and put it up on hte lift and there's a ton of rust. He said there was a recall on it but it's already expired. A new frame is $2,800 and double that for labor. Is there any other alternitive he has ? Like could he pay a welder and just fill in the rust holes with tig and sandblast the rust off ? He paid cash and its his problem and I get that. Thoughts ?
Do you have any pics to see how bad overall it is?

I for forgot to mention the fact that he jumped on this so quickly because it has 61,000 miles all original, one owner, carfax said leaf springs recall and 1st owner had them replaced. I understand his thought process with the low milage but in my mind I couldn't justify the amount of rust damage to the frame. He sent me a few pictures. The hood, roof, and tailgate are gray. After market racing stripes or after market paint job to hide things ? Hmmm. The dealership put new tires and rims (2013-2014) on this pickup. What do you guys think ?

Attachments

• image0.png
    image0.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 6
  • image1.png
    image1.png
    1 MB · Views: 5
  • image2.png
    image2.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_9957.jpg
    IMG_9957.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 10
Wish I knew what to tell you, I've always heard the Tacos and many other vehicles up north have to have the frame swapped out because of all the rust. Kinda sucks!

Was the hood and tailgate both so rusted they had to be replaced or what? They're both silver.

Wish I knew what to tell you, I've always heard the Tacos and many other vehicles up north have to have the frame swapped out because of all the rust. Kinda sucks!
Yep, that's what I was told 20 years ago. Stay away from vehicles for sale in New England. Rust is always going to be there because of salted roads. All my years in my home state of Colorado, they came up with a thingee that doesn't rust your vehicles. It was called magnesium chloride. It works.

Yep, that's what I was told 20 years ago. Stay away from vehicles for sale in New England. Rust is always going to be there because of salted roads. All my years in my home state of Colorado, they came up with a thingee that doesn't rust your vehicles. It was called magnesium chloride. It works.
I've always lived here in Texas all my life but I've heard all about the road salt they use up there!

I've always lived here in Texas all my life but I've heard all about the road salt they use up there!
Ok you Texas native let me ask you this; has Texas ever used salt on the roads and highways ? I don't know the answer I'm just askin. I'm thinking not the Metroplex or Houston, or San Antonio, but towns like WichitaFalls, Lubbock, Amarillo, and even El Paso ? These Texas towns are very close to Oklahoma, New Mexico,and Colorado.

Ok you Texas native let me ask you this; has Texas ever used salt on the roads and highways ? I don't know the answer I'm just askin. I'm thinking not the Metroplex or Houston, or San Antonio, but towns like WichitaFalls, Lubbock, Amarillo, and even El Paso ? These Texas towns are very close to Oklahoma, New Mexico,and Colorado.
Yes they do use salt in the Metroplex area but only if the roads highways and bridges are bad enough! They used it in the last ice storm a couple weeks ago as a matter of fact!

The last several years they've started pretreating the roads with brine which usually works pretty well imho! Then if the roads get bad enough they will use salt. There's a place over here by me where they usually keep it at I635 and I20!

Don't know about Houston, San Antonio, Wichita Falls, Lubbock, or Amarillo. I have a cousin in Houston that would probably know unfortunately I hardly ever talk to him. He's one of those relatives that the only time we ever see him is when there's a death in the family, sad but so true! I have another cousin on the other side of the family that lives in Arizona and we actually talk to him way more than the one in Houston!

Anyhow that's my 2 cents!

Back