Oil change

0w20 for all the new trucks....you gen1 guys need to get with the times. I think some of those new corollas use 0w8 now.

I've seen enough high mileage Honda, and toyota engines opened up that only used a high quality synthetic like mobil1, or castrol that had 7,500 miles, or higher oil change intervals that look super clean, just a golden discoloration on its engine internals. I've also seen engine internals that were done at these quick change oil shops, that look like they were never done. A know a lady that went to one of these places every 3k miles, or so with her pontiac, and needed a new engine at 75k. She kept all records, and went to a lawyer that won her case for a new engine. I can't claim what I know with many synthetics these days, but I can tell you mobil1 extended works as claimed. It's all I ran in my tundra, and try to in my taco, and our prius. I would also recommend 5k oil change intervals if you have no clue what oil is being used. If you do it yourself, find a well known good grade full synthetic....10k mile changes will be no issue.

Something to consider.

If your truck Owner's Manual states to use 10W30 (or whatever), you could do harm using a lighter viscosity oil like 0w8 in that engine.

Engines are designed with specific clearances. These clearances are filled with an oil film which is dependent on the correct viscosity. Using an oil with too low of a viscosity may cause the clearances to collapse. The result is metal to metal contact leading to engine failure.

About 10K oil changes. I still recommend following the Owner's Manual for change interval. One purpose of the oil is to suspend particles that the oil filter does not capture. Most oil filters are only capable of capturing about 25 microns or larger particles. For perspective, a human hair is roughly 75 microns. Bearing damage can occur with particles as small as 1-2 microns. The longer the oil stays in the engine, the more particles it needs to suspend. Meaning an increasing number of damage causing particles are rolling around with the bearings and other close clearance structures.

Do as you wish. I will continue to use the best oil filter, the correct viscosity and follow the recommended change interval.

When I asked a few yota professionals about what to do with this gen2 with 2TRFE cold weather startup chatter it does they recommend changing from 0w20 to 5w20 or 5w30 in the winter to perhaps stop the clattering it makes at idle until the engine is warmed up
Do they have a Clue what they are doing?

It's strange how in Mexico 5w 30 is standard in the same 3.5 taco engine yet here just across the border its 0w20. My guess its all about epa mileage figures here in the u.s.
Even going by Toyotas universal temp.charts, 5w30 is a better choice for the northern half of the u.s. for the 3.5 engine, yet 0w20 is the recommended motor oil to use stated in the owners manual, go figure.

i don't either the Why 0w20 is the go-to
but i do know NOW about a filter that is often overlooked or not even known about that MIGHT be the culprit to the cold start chattering on the 2TRFE and other VVTi engines
a few+ more months remain and a wait and see

Back