What did you do to (or with) your truck today?

When it came to my street bike back in the day, I only ran Dunlop, or Metzler tires. I felt they were actually better than the bike was.

@TexasBigBlue Suggest you ask your son what he wants to do about the tires. Afterall, it will be his truck. Ask if he'd pony up half the cost of whatever tire he wants on the truck.

I certainly wouldn't drive it.

You could rent a Penske truck with a car hauler. Put the Tacoma on the hauler then drive the whole thing to FL.

Good Lord that is horrible and dangerous advice. Get caught in a rain storm be ready to hydroplane into the ditch or under the semi next to you.

@tacojoel I've had superior results running Michelins on my motorcycle, truck and the wife's car. Last thing any married man wants is for the wife to be stranded with a bad tire. You'll be called out on a rescue mission, then when the rescue is complete you'll forever hear the woe of wife being stranded. I can only offer my experience with Michelins. I've had other brands, always disappointed in one way or another.
Unfortunately he's unemployed right now. He resigned his position as a Missouri Police Officer and is in student status at a Flight School in Orlando and he's flat broke so it's all on me.

The Cooper General Grabbers currently on his Taco was just under a thousand bucks and they still look brand new cause he's so busy with classes and the flight line. He loves the "white letters out" look so I told him we would switch em out in Florida.

Yes, these toyo tires on my Taco were near bald. I believe they were rated 25,000 miles and I got 38,000 out of em but as you mentioned I was literally hydroplaning coming out of the carwash, slipping and sliding everywhere.

I was in and out of Pep Boys this afternoon in 90 minutes. The Toya's were bald and it looked awful. These particular Starfire Solarus tires are rated at 30,000 miles and we will swap em out when I get to Orlando. Now if i could just get that damn phone call from Cowboy Toyota telling me my 4th gen Taco has arrived….

Attachments

• IMG_7808.jpg
    IMG_7808.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_7796.jpg
    IMG_7796.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 4
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 4
Today I added a console safe so I can securely store stuff there when I have to leave it in the pickup.

qyYmMaBVwwyCRPZ48DuIw.jpg

I also replaced the media control switch so it is now oriented in the correct way.

5ifqCWMsCAQWzIFfaCgZpF.jpg

I’ve never understood why Toyota decided to try and fix something that was not broken. Changing the direction of the media controls to the opposite of what is logical. There is a reason why it’s been done a certain way for decades. I’ve recently drove a 2024 Tundra and its media controls are oriented correctly. I’m just guessing, but I’m sure the new gen of tacomas have it now oriented properly.

I’m running Dunlops on my street bike. The bike and tires are more capable than I am.
I had a 76 Suzuki GT750 back in the 70's, and 80's when using dunlop, and metzler tires. Back then I think I was out riding that bike. When pressing it hard into big sweepers you could easily get into a tank slapper....you could feel the frame twist. I had many a white knuckle experiences on that bike. Tires would stick like glue, but the rest of the bike didn't want to cooperate all the time.

I had a 76 Suzuki GT750 back in the 70's, and 80's when using dunlop, and metzler tires. Back then I think I was out riding that bike. When pressing it hard into big sweepers you could easily get into a tank slapper....you could feel the frame twist. I had many a white knuckle experiences on that bike. Tires would stick like glue, but the rest of the bike didn't want to cooperate all the time.
Luckily my street bike doesn’t have that issue.
elUYIZbeCQ6vmuT4vUWBI.jpg

Today I added a console safe so I can securely store stuff there when I have to leave it in the pickup.

qyYmMaBVwwyCRPZ48DuIw.jpg

I also replaced the media control switch so it is now oriented in the correct way.

5ifqCWMsCAQWzIFfaCgZpF.jpg

I’ve never understood why Toyota decided to try and fix something that was not broken. Changing the direction of the media controls to the opposite of what is logical. There is a reason why it’s been done a certain way for decades. I’ve recently drove a 2024 Tundra and its media controls are oriented correctly. I’m just guessing, but I’m sure the new gen of tacomas have it now oriented properly.
I think if someone wanted to break in your truck, and console, you're not going to stop them with these console safes.....they will just rip it out, and take it with them.
As far as these taco 3rd gen media controls, I'm left handed so they seem to be fine with me, plus this was the very first taco owned.....coming from a nearly 20 year old tundra.

I think if someone wanted to break in your truck, and console, you're not going to stop them with these console safes.....they will just rip it out, and take it with them.
As far as these taco 3rd gen media controls, I'm left handed so they seem to be fine with me, plus this was the very first taco owned.....coming from a nearly 20 year old tundra.
No safe is completely safe. This one is better than nothing. It’s going to take some effort to get it out of the truck. Most thief’s are smash and grab. They’re not going to take the time and effort to get it out.

I wish something like that was available back in the day. I got to ride a dealers Yamaha RZ500 back in the late 80's. Bike was a rocket that handled on rails, nothing like my porky GT750.
The quick shifter on it is great! I love having the throttle wide open and not needing to roll off and pull in the clutch to shift. Running 15,000 rpm’s and tap the shifter to shift up.

Today's stock 4 stroke dirt bikes tap out around 13-14k before hitting the rev limiter to save the motor from launching a rod.

Somewhere buried in my barn is one of my old Ktm 125 xc bikes...was mostly used as a practice, and spare parts bike back in the day.

Back