Why do you drive a manuel transmission ?

if i need to shift gears then its NOT an automatic, now is it !?
LOL

i put the damned thing in D and expect it to get me places with NO issues and NO FcKS
You just reminded me of something, Yes I've had many a MT's but I've also had some automatic transmissions. In the old days, the lever stick on the column went "P,R,N,D,D1,D2".

Now, my nephew and a few others I know that have not just Toyotas, but GM and Fords as well and now show just "P,R,N,D". No D1 and no D2. What happened to D1 and D2? I kid you not, my Pops, my Grandpa, and Uncles always used those lower gears driving up and down steep grades in Mountain states.

You just reminded me of something, Yes I've had many a MT's but I've also had some automatic transmissions. In the old days, the lever stick on the column went "P,R,N,D,D1,D2".

Now, my nephew and a few others I know that have not just Toyotas, but GM and Fords as well and now show just "P,R,N,D". No D1 and no D2. What happened to D1 and D2? I kid you not, my Pops, my Grandpa, and Uncles always used those lower gears driving up and down steep grades in Mountain states.
Can't say. I'd guess a part simplification, part reductions, cost reduction........

I know my '06 Tacoma has 1, 2, 3, 4 and D along with N, R (ace) and P

Most sedans or coupes don't really have much need for settings other than P, N, R and D.
SUV and CUV may for the occasional trailer pull.

I'm sure the shift choices were driven by market studies. I'm also sure the AT still has the 1, 2 and 3 gears. Just the driver can not choose those settings.

Valvoline 75w90 synthetic gear oil is $13.99 on Amazon. $3 savings per qt. Use where API GL-5 or GL-4 is recommended.

Be careful of brand hype.

Does that Valvoline mt oil handle severe cold temps like the redline brand seemed to do for me when I switched
It seemed night and day over the past winter compared to past

Does that Valvoline mt oil handle severe cold temps like the redline brand seemed to do for me when I switched
It seemed night and day over the past winter compared to past

All oils meeting or exceeding the API grade will comply with the viscosity flow definitions.

So, in other words.
Any brand oil with matching viscosity designation will have similar flow vs temperature characteristics.

All 10w30 will have similar flow
All 75w90 will have similar flow
All 5w20 will have similar flow.

5w20 will have different flow than 75w90.

The difference you felt may have been due to fresh lube vs old lube or perceived in your mind.

Last edited:
the transmission fluid the Yota dealer had routinely put in it was ALWAYS a bit stiff in them cold start winter temps, well below freezing
the latest yota indie shop put in redline MT-90 for the first time and it was night and day difference in the gear stick fluidness in cold start winter temps, i kid ye not
nearly 20k miles on the change and cold near zero start ... first stick in Wyoming was fluid as can be
very LITTLE resistance with MT-90
All oils meeting or exceeding the API grade will comply with the viscosity flow definitions.

So, in other words.
Any brand oil with matching viscosity designation will have similar flow vs temperature characteristics.

All 10w30 will have similar flow
All 75w90 will have similar flow
All 5w20 will have similar flow.

5w20 will have different flow than 75w90.

The difference you felt may have been due to fresh lube vs old lube or perceived in your mind.

Did you see any sharks?
Oh dear Lord no. The one excursion we did in St Thomas bay was the only disappointment. Seaweed everywhere on the entire shoreline and the first three feet of water. But some da*mn good chow on that ship. As it 's newest ship, they went with more restaurants and more decks. Loved it. The only wildlife we saw and loved was all the lizards and iguana's. Saw lots of guppies and other tiny fish but no sharks. :)

so i am curious as a cat again, yet again :confused:

How Much is an AT overhaul and/or replacement reMan at 500k miles... or sooner or later
what is that going to cost?
I've been thinking about this question. Mr Cat, although I don't have an answer about the cost, I do have a method to determine my course of action.

Assuming the truck makes 500 kmiles
1. Quote the cost of a repair.
2. Quote the cost of a replacement.
3. Determine the value of the truck.

If 1 and 2 exceed 3, then replace truck. 3<1 & 2
If 2 exceeds 1 and is less than 3, then repair. 1<2<3
If 1 exceeds 2 and is less than 3, then replace. 2<1<3

Although I think the chances of the Assumption becoming true are slim.
The final thought.
I do not expect the AT or any transmission to reach 500 kmiles without maintenance.

Last edited:
Back