Southern Cali BS Thread

Total before tax on their website is 1814.63. I paid 1849.77 after tax. That's about 140 off after tax but I got FJ rear shocks which are a bit more expensive than the Taco rear shocks.

Bad and good news today about the truck. First the bad.... No offroading for me until I get the front end of the truck strengthened. Its starting to flex and will begin to start tearing things up.

Good news is Hassim from Engage is going to hook it up. That means engine cage, gussets, new bumper, and new shock towers for 12" coilovers.

Bad news again. I have to wait on linking. So that prob won't happen until the end of the year.

This is the new link from Engage. What I wanted and now have to wait. :furious:

Attachments

• 534352_529683943741883_310955487_n.jpg
    534352_529683943741883_310955487_n.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 4
those links look pretty badass

im jumping in this bs thread because internet and there arent many other active ones yet. sorry

what made you change to fox?

Fox, Icon and King...they are all pretty much the same thing besides color and Icon is the only one with Digressive valving. King is more race ready stuff so I decided it was too much overkill for my truck. I didn't want Icon due to the stiff valving at low speed and because I hear that they can be more expensive than the others to rebuild. I would have been fine with 5100s or OME but I wanted better.

so do you think fox would give a more smooth ride at street speeds than king? i want a setup that rides as smooth as it does with 5100's but is capable of decent offroading. hence the desire for compression adjusters. thoughts?

I believe the King and Fox will be similar on the street. DSM steered me away from compression adjusters because I don't carry anything extra offroad. No need to adjust compression when wheeling like you and I do and when not carrying anything.. I will add them to the rear(only option for me) when I get a shell and carry more junk when wheeling.

it all depends on the valving of the shock

changing compression and rebound, every shock would feel the same

comes down to brand bias and the question of the quality of parts

I wanted King because Fox seems to have corrosion issues and there was that whole tophat issue with the Icons.

but I might have to just get fox's built cause apparently King doesnt build extended travel c/o's with a resi :mad:

and with shipping it'd cost me $1600+.... and I'd need to find someone to weld on resi tabs

No corrosion issues in CA. :)

DSM offers extended travel axle Kings.

not for 1st gens :( theyre the guys im talking to get my stuff through

king doesnt even make resi brackets for 1st gens

so I'd have to get a set custom made, valved and mated to 600lb coils
buy a few universal weld-on brackets, have them welded on when I'm swapping my front

either that for 1600+ or 1400+ for a fox set, just assembled with 600lbers

why is everything so damn expensive :(

and I've seen way too many fox c/o's turn to crap

mike's race shocks oxidized completely, mrgrimm had problems with his and three friends of mine running fox stuff have had their shocks full on start rusting

it's the minority that have the problem but I've never seen a King set corrode or have a tophat break

I believe king uses all aluminum while Fox uses steel. Honestly I don't think I will have any issues and if I do I will clean them and have them coated. Maybe a powder coat without ceramic so that it doesn't trap heat in the shock defeating the purpose of a resi.

It's pretty crazy, shouldda taken pictures; he just lifted his tundra, fox RR's all around, there's deep rust on the shock body and the resi in under 6 months

but he goes on fishing runs every few weeks, and camps literally feet from the ocean.

Im not sure how much heat is dissipated through radiation on these shocks; like if paint or powder coat would dampen their ability to shed heat. mike ended up painting his, though he didnt pc them

whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy soo much moneyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

I was reading up on it and plating would be better. Still though, I don't think I will have issues and if I do then that's crappy.

Gotta pay to play.

Back